Tournament and Finals Recap

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

The 2017 Dominion Online Championships were quite an exciting tournament. With a turnout of 389 players, it was the biggest dominion tournament ever, as well as the debut of new tournament-friendly features on the new dominion client.

To make it far in a tournament, you have to play well. Some games are one from clever plays on both sides. But some games are also decided by P1 advantage and shuffle luck. You need a little luck at precisely the right time, and boy did that happen here.

In the semifinals, I was down 1-3 against jsh357, then won a couple of engine games to force a game 7. I thinned down with Donate, built up a Plaza/Witch engine, and won the Plaza split, partially at least, due to P1 advantage.

Then in the finals, I was down 1-3 against Mercury444F, then won a couple of engine games to force a game 7. I thinned down with Remake/Bonfire, built up a Plaza/Witch engine, and won the Plaza split, partially at least, due to P1 advantage.

Recording of my matches (including the finals) are up on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrY5CAun1zLiG3FfOrgRxzNAirHJIPVH

A big thanks to Shuffle IT for hosting the tournament. Another big thanks goes out to the moderation team -  drsteelhammer, assemble_me, Deadlock39 and irrationalE.

And finally, a big thanks to the community for coming out and competing, spectating and discussing. It was great to see so many people excited about competitive dominion come together for this event.

See you next year!
-Dan Brooks

santamonica811

Dan,
1.  Congrats on the win.
2.  Were the boards randomly generated?  The odds of having Plaza-Witch on the board, on the deciding game in two consecutive matches is . . . well, astronomical, yes?

Was nice to read about the different ways you thinned out your decks.  In my entire (beginning-level) Dominion life; I've never even thought about buying Bonfire.  Clear evidence that high-level players see advantages in cards that we hoi polloi overlook!  :)

Donald X.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 19 November 2017, 09:20:58 PM
2.  Were the boards randomly generated?  The odds of having Plaza-Witch on the board, on the deciding game in two consecutive matches is . . . well, astronomical, yes?
After the fact, the chance is 100%!

You never notice the coincidences that don't happen. When you factor them in, the actual coincidences stop looking impressive.