What happened to the tournament?

Previous topic - Next topic

Grindcore

Am I missing something? It seems all the posting in this forum stopped in October, with round 5 being the last round. There are still 8 players remaining after that round.

Ingix

The tournament came to a conclusion.

I think at that time all the communication started to happen personally/via Discord, as the number of involved players was small and everybody knew each other. That was quite a difference to the starting rounds.

Grindcore

Ok, I have some feedback in that case. All the high ranked players etc know eachother well from league play/dominionstrategy and end up being in the top8 and on discord, but the thousands of other players on the website, who might also be interested in some high level matches or rooting for a winner etc, are not all there. In 2017 I had fun keeping track of the tournament and watching matches on youtube. So for me it would have been more fun if the posting on the forums didn't stop. It isn't even clear who is the current champion. Last year there was a stream announced for the finals on the forums. From my point of view this time everything just went quiet with no explanation and apparently the tournament finished.

Ingix

IIRC the streams where announced on Discord. But you are right that it would have been good to announce them here as well.

Grindcore

And post the results... I still have no clue who the current champion is. There is no bracket like last year, just the google doc with the round 5 results and then silence.

jsh

The champion is Mic Qsenoch. Check out his YouTube channel if you want good commentary on games.

santamonica811

Thanks for the link.  I took a quick look at the bracket, and one thing I did not understand.  In a few cases, the match score was not 4-0 or 4-3 or whatever.  It was 35-15, or 35-25.????  What does that mean?

Ingix

I assume that's in reality 3.5-2.5 etc., meaning there was a game ending in a tie, so after one player got 3.5 points the match was over.

santamonica811

Ingix,
Thanks.  I did not realize that a match could end after 3.5 points.  I had thought it went: First to 4 points.  (But I did not participate this year, so I could be completely wrong on that front.)  If that's true; then your explanation is almost certainly the correct one.

Ingix

Since it is a best of 6 games with an additional tiebreaker game only if it ends 3-3, 3.5 points is enough for the win (after 6 games).