Player resigns right before losing, how does this effect ranks for both players

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabird88

This often happens when I play against a player that is ranked higher than myself.  Right before I win, they resign. How does this effect the ranks for both players for that game?  I usually blacklist these players.

yed

For 2 player game it is the same as you winning normally.

I sometimes resign if the other player does not end the game as fast as possible.

Cave-O-Sapien

Many players have zero interest in watching the opponent's "victory lap".

It has no effect on rating.

Megas_Droungarios

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 09 December 2019, 06:11:47 AM
Many players have zero interest in watching the opponent's "victory lap".

It has no effect on rating.

Except in 3-player games, where as I understand it, the resigning player is penalized more severely than for a normal loss to the same opponents, but the winner gets no benefit to his/her ranting.  I've had an opponent in 3-player resign during his extra turn from Fleet.  Absolutely maddening to not get the win.

Ghost1671

It's petty when people do this. They certainly wouldn't want another player to do the same to them when they are winning and reaping the benefits of luck and good strategy. At least it's good to know it doesn't affect the rankings.

Lemonspawn

I don't think it's considered polite in multiplayer, but in 2-player dominion resigning is normal.  It's occasionally considered rude NOT to resign from a hopeless position, even.

jsh

I am often on the other side of the fence, watching opponents who have lost miserably and know it spend ten minutes clicking buttons pointlessly, sometimes tabbing out while they do it. Knowing when to resign will make your online play experience much more fun. One of my biggest pet peeves is when players spend ages and then just buy the last province while behind anyway. If you're gonna take the time, at least try to win!

dmyze

I think once a game is past 10 or so turns if you disconnect a bot should just take over your hand, and whatever the outcome of the game is is kept on your record.

Ingix

I've seen people disconnect for 10-30s several times over a game, likey due to shaky WiFi/internet.

That has caused a small overall delay for the game, but nothing serious. I wouldn't want those games be decided by the bot's (in)ability to handle certain strategies.

bajo

AFAIK, resignation in 2-player game is resolved exactly the same way as a game ending in a "natural" loss. I think it poor sportsmanship... to expect the player who is behind to stay in the game and play the role of a boxing sack for several turns. Yet, there are many players who appear to be quite miffed at their opponent resigning -- they jump right off the table immediately after the resignation. I don't understand these people. If you want to play Dominion "solitaire" and keep clocking up the score, please consider playing a bot. Remember that there is another person on the other end of the line and it is also their time of entertainment and competition. Playing a game which is already decided is neither the first nor the other.

If the game were literally in its final turn (i.e. I could be fairly certain my opponent would have the means to end it on their next go), I would sometimes let them do that, although I find it difficult to understand what's so particularly pleasing in buying those last cards needed for the win. My satisfaction comes entirely from winning (and playing well), not from buying cards :).

mrfiat

I do not agree.  If they are too far behind to catch up then they should buy the last province.  Why waste time?

Quote from: dmyze on 07 October 2020, 12:04:38 AM
I think once a game is past 10 or so turns if you disconnect a bot should just take over your hand, and whatever the outcome of the game is is kept on your record.