Abusive players

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Glover

How do I report a player using abusive language? One of the best things about playing Dominion online is the absence of nasty people, and I'd like to keep it that way.

LaLight

Quote from: Josh Glover on 04 June 2017, 12:02:37 PM
How do I report a player using abusive language? One of the best things about playing Dominion online is the absence of nasty people, and I'd like to keep it that way.

PM please one of the mods or Stef.

wildrumpus

I just "played" a user named Slowishmo. He announced immediately that he intended to take every turn to its allowed time limit. I told him that wasn't sportsmanlike; he didn't care. So, I said fine, let's play and I'll block you, he again said "No thank you". I think he was sure I would resign. I told him he was being an ass, and then he threatened to report ME and have me banned. He eventually let his time lapse. I'm reporting him for player abuse. I'm a 60 year old grandma and have many happy hours and friends on Dominion. People like Slowishmo should not be allowed to intimidate or frighten players. I've  had rude opponents; I just block them. This is new and disturbing.

gitsticker8

Unfortunately, it's not new.  The current strategy for dealing with it is to blacklist them, and report them to a moderator via PM.  Posting about it on the forums may be futile since all of the topics about slow-rollers seem to be getting removed. :-X

Stef

Quote from: wildrumpus on 15 July 2017, 04:59:38 AM
...should not be allowed to intimidate or frighten players. I've  had rude opponents; I just block them. This is new and disturbing.

I'm sorry you had to endure this. This guy has a mental illness where he doesn't seem to feel compassion with other human beings. It makes me feel a weird combination of mad, sad and ashamed of being of the same species.

gitsticker8

FYI the person is almost certainly on the forums.  Insulting them emboldens them and encourages them to continue.  Especially if it's from you, Stef.  It lets them know that what they are doing is working.  The bigger the reaction, the better for them.  Also it might be a guy or gal, or even multiple people and/or bots we don't know.

Linds315

He is now going by BslowMo. Same thing. Right up front tells you he is going to take as long as possible for each turn. How this is fun for him I have no idea. Talk about issues. I told him to bring it on two can play that game I would do the same to him. He threatened to report ME for slow playing and would get me banned. I wasn't even aware that could occur, but told him thanks for the idea I would now do the same to him. Done. Hope he gets banned. He then tried to reason with me not to because "we would both get banned". If I get banned in the process, oh well. At least I did good on my way out. The more people that report this guy the more likelihood he will get banned for good, like from his IP address or something so he can't keep making up new names? Whatever. No more energy spent on this for me. Everyone have fun out there! : )

Stef

Quote from: Linds315 on 18 July 2017, 07:39:13 AM
... "we would both get banned"...

Off course you won't get banned.

People don't get banned for being reported, the report actually has to make sense. The things this disturbed individual says don't make sense.

Snowdrop

How do we report someone or PM a moderator? The slow person is striking again, now under the name "StefAllowsSlowPlay". I blocked him so I won't have to encounter him under that name again but I'd like to know how to report/PM a moderator.

Thanks!

jsh

Quote from: Snowdrop on 19 July 2017, 11:25:25 PM
How do we report someone or PM a moderator? The slow person is striking again, now under the name "StefAllowsSlowPlay". I blocked him so I won't have to encounter him under that name again but I'd like to know how to report/PM a moderator.

Thanks!

Simply blacklist the player. Stef is monitoring the blacklists several times a day, and so far it's been quite simple to find these users. You can report them with a private message if you wish, but it's not necessary.

Snowdrop

Thank you! I did mark him with the lightning bolt (that's blacklisting, right?) so I guess I did it correctly.